July 20, 2015

Thyme Lemonade


The restaurant
Sudestada – Buenos Aires, Argentina

The dish
Thyme lemonade

The experience
I visited Sudestada a few days after arriving in Argentina, back when I had no idea how rare it is to find good Southeast Asian food in Buenos Aires. At the time (before the crazy runaway inflation of recent years), Sudestada offered a fantastic lunch special that included lemonade. The lemonade was a special treat for me because I usually drink water to save money. The food was good, but I swear, I went back for the lemonade.

Ingredients
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup sugar
6 cups water
6 sprigs thyme (or rosemary, or whatever fresh herbs you have on hand)
2 cups fresh lemon juice

Directions
Combine honey, sugar and 2 cups of water in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil then stir to dissolve sugar. Turn off heat and add thyme/rosemary/herbs (I used rosemary because it needed to be picked from my garden). Let sit until cool.

Pour syrup and lemon juice into a pitcher and stir to combine. Add remaining 4 cups of water. Taste and add more water if needed.

No comments

Post a Comment